Senior Staff Scientist
Why Valvoline Global Operations?
Valvoline Global is a worldwide leader in automotive and industrial solutions, creating future-ready products and best-in-class services for partners around the globe. Established in 1866, we introduced the world’s first branded motor oil, claiming our position as The Original Motor Oil.
As an affiliate of Aramco, one of the world's largest integrated energy and chemicals companies, we continue to invest strategically and expand globally, driving unparalleled product innovation and sustainable business solutions.
Our corporate values of care, integrity, passion, and excellence shape everything we do. Living out our values is what makes our company, our employees, our partners, our customers, and the communities we serve great.
When you join Valvoline Global, you join a culture that is committed to: treating all people with care, operating with integrity, striving for excellence in everything we do, and showing passion about delivering on our commitments.
Careers for the Driven
Valvoline has a rewarding opportunity as a Senior Staff Scientist. We whole-heartedly adopt a ‘never idle' mindset. We also know that outstanding service begins and ends with our employees. So, we’re looking for good people to join our team. You bring your skills, talents, and drive. We will give you a great place to work, a competitive salary and benefits, and the resources and support to develop and advance within our global company.
How You’ll Make an Impact
The Senior Staff Scientist will llead the development of Valvoline light duty lubricant products including engine oils, transmission fluids, power steering fluids, racing oils or other related products. Manage the creation and submission of necessary documentation for industry and OEM specification approvals. Act as technical point of contact for Valvoline's blending plants, provide day-to-day production support and manage the introduction of new products, including creation of new recipes and quality specifications. Provide work direction to lab scientist(s) and mentor to support career development. In the role, you would be responsible for:
- Conduct necessary performance and quality testing to approve/license new products and renew existing products.
- Evaluate new additives, base oils and other raw materials for performance and quality.
- Create and submit necessary documentation for API, ACEA, GM dexos and additional OEM approvals.
- Generate product claims data via lab, bench, engine or field testing to leverage Valvoline's technology advantages across entire product line.
- Provide work direction to lab scientist(s) and mentor to support their career development.
- Act as the primary technical point of contact for Valvoline's blending plants, providing day-to-day production support and managing the introduction of new products, including new recipes and quality specifications.
- Review and approve new labels, PI Sheets and other external content, focused on technical claims and specification coverage.
- Support Sales teams and key accounts by supplying technical support and lubricant/product training as required (e.g. Motor Oil 101).
- Act as Valvoline representative on industry committees and/or task forces (e.g. BOI/VGRA, CLOG)
- Provide technical support for product field testing.
What You’ll Need
- Minimum B.S. in Chemistry or Engineering Discipline
- Minimum one year of relevant experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Multi-tasker and problem-solver
- Familiarity with Engine/Transmission hardware, operation and design
- Attention to detail and desire to complete quality work products
- Ability to work well with others and comprehend instruction quickly
- Knowledge of Engine and Transmission Performance Testing
- Knowledge of oil specifications and qualification procedures is advantageous
- Experience with analytical test methods and laboratory methods
- Computer Skills - specifically Excel, Power Point, SAP and QC software
- Travel is required to perform some responsibilities of position (up to 10%)
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
What Will Set You Apart
- Masters or PhD preferred
- Experience formulating finished lubricants, either for an oil marketer, additive supplier or base oil manufacturer
Benefits That Drive Themselves
- Health insurance plans (medical, dental, vision)
- HSA and flexible spending accounts
- Incentive opportunity*
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays*
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee discounts
- Tuition reimbursement*
- Adoption assistance*
*Terms and conditions apply, and benefits may differ depending on position.
Valvoline provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Are you good at what you do? Join us.
The Company endeavors to make its recruitment process accessible to any and all users. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, upon request, to applicants with disabilities in order to facilitate equal opportunity throughout the recruitment and selection process. Please contact Human Resources at 1-800-Valvoline or email 1-800Valvoline@valvoline.com to make a request for reasonable accommodation during any aspect of the recruitment and selection process. The contact information is for accommodation requests only; do not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications.