Senior Counsel- North America
Why Valvoline Global Operations?
Valvoline Global is a worldwide leader in automotive and industrial solutions, creating future-ready products and best-in-class services for partners around the globe. Established in 1866, we introduced the world’s first branded motor oil, claiming our position as The Original Motor Oil.
As an affiliate of Aramco, one of the world's largest integrated energy and chemicals companies, we continue to invest strategically and expand globally, driving unparalleled product innovation and sustainable business solutions.
Our corporate values of care, integrity, passion, and excellence shape everything we do. Living out our values is what makes our company, our employees, our partners, our customers, and the communities we serve great.
When you join Valvoline Global, you join a culture that is committed to: treating all people with care, operating with integrity, striving for excellence in everything we do, and showing passion about delivering on our commitments.
Careers for the Driven
Valvoline has a rewarding opportunity as a Senior Counsel-North America. We whole-heartedly adopt a ‘never idle' mindset. We also know that outstanding service begins and ends with our employees. So, we’re looking for good people to join our team. You bring your skills, talents, and drive. We will give you a great place to work, a competitive salary and benefits, and the resources and support to develop and advance within our global company.
*Valvoline Global Operations Headquarters is located in Lexington, KY. If candidates are local, we prefer a hybrid in-office work schedule (3 days per week). We're also open to candidates living in nearby markets (i.e. Cinncinati or Louisville), but willing to visit HQs.
How You’ll Make an Impact
The Senior Counsel (North America) role manages Valvoline Global Operation's ("VGO") legal affairs in the North America (NA) region (United States and Canada) with accountability to drive the legal function. This role will provide key support to the NA business including but not limited to establishing close collaborative relationships and support to stakeholders (internal / external - e.g. VGO key accounts), overseeing and maintaining business, commercial and corporate matters, contract management and maintenance. To participate and support the NA business leadership teams on various matters and to lead the NA legal team in supporting Valvoline's growth in the region. In the role, you would be responsible for:
- In conjunction with the (functional) lead attorneys, acts as the key liaison supporting the NA business (e.g., DIFM, DIY, OEM, etc.) and providing legal opinions and advice in areas, such as termination of contracts, antitrust, procurement, intellectual property, product liability, general litigation, employment matters, compliance with laws and Valvoline policies.
- Maintains sound relationships with the NA business across all VGO functions including Commercial, Finance, Supply Chain, Procurement, Marketing, Human Resources and provides regular reporting on all legal matters to relevant stakeholders. Effective legal support / relationship management to the business's key major accounts across the region.
- Drafts, negotiates and finalizes a broad range of commercial and procurement contracts and other agreements including, but not limited to, license, technology agreements, distributor, service, supply agreements, marketing, sponsorship and promotion agreements, as well as raw materials purchase agreements, product sale, employment, lease and logistics services agreements.
- Estimates risks in advance, predicts issues where possible; proactively looks for solutions and better practices to mitigate risk; oversees complex legal matters with multiple stakeholders.
- Assists with legal tasks/projects as directed by the Reporting Manager as well as on all various and general legal matters for the NA business and region.
- Monitors (and advises NA leadership team) of legislative and other legal developments that are relevant to the business; advises the business and Legal Department members accordingly.
- Collaborates with the Compliance Lead, to promote all compliances/regulatory/ethics (including anti-corruption laws, trade regulations, competition law, personal data protection) across the region (including corporate office, manufacturing plants and warehouses).
- Manages 3rd party risk management for the NA region. Conducts due diligence evaluations and reviews for all 3rd parties in scope.
What You’ll Need
Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited university required.
Minimum 5 years (10 preferred) post-bar experience as lawyer in commercial and contractual law
Excellent command over all Legal and Compliance aspects and matters and should be able to formulate strategies to deal with such matters
Excellent communication, both written and oral, drafting and negotiation skills.
Creative and a lateral thinker
Reporting Skills, research Skills, legal administration skills
Confidentiality, reliability, interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to cope with confidential, complex matters
Highly organized and detail-oriented, ability to take direction and work independently
Case/project management skills and demonstrates solid written, interpersonal, analytical, and application skills.
Works as a contributory team member building positive relationships to efficiently execute legal requirements, and timely, accurate, legal services
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Benefits That Drive Themselves
- Health insurance plans (medical, dental, vision)
- HSA and flexible spending accounts
- Incentive opportunity*
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays*
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee discounts
- Tuition reimbursement*
- Adoption assistance*
*Terms and conditions apply, and benefits may differ depending on position.
Valvoline provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Are you good at what you do? Join us.
The Company endeavors to make its recruitment process accessible to any and all users. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, upon request, to applicants with disabilities in order to facilitate equal opportunity throughout the recruitment and selection process. Please contact Human Resources at 1-800-Valvoline or email 1-800Valvoline@valvoline.com to make a request for reasonable accommodation during any aspect of the recruitment and selection process. The contact information is for accommodation requests only; do not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications.