Commercial Packaging Engineer
Why Valvoline Global Operations?
We’ve been inspiring and enabling what moves the world forward for more than 150 years, starting with the invention of the world’s first branded motor oil. Today, we’re a leading worldwide marketer and supplier of premium branded lubricants, automotive and industrial chemistries, and a business solutions provider to our customers and partners, driven every day by a people-centered focus on innovation and customer excellence.
We’re proud to be The Original—the first to see potential in things others overlook. Originals are the first to develop sustainable solutions. Originals move the world forward. At Valvoline Global Products, that’s what we do every day in over 140 countries worldwide. We create future-ready products that improve the performance of automotive and industrial equipment and services that help our businesses grow and thrive. As The Original, we’ve been innovating to solve problems for over 150 years. And we’ll continue to invent and reinvent the way forward, to always meet our customers’ needs – today and in the future.
Living out our values is what makes our company, our employees, our partners, our customers, and the communities we serve, great. It is our responsibility. It is what drives us. It is who we are.
We’re looking for people who care, operate with integrity, strive for excellence in everything they do, are eager to develop new skills to win, and show passion for delivering on our commitment to all our stakeholders. We are looking for Hungry, Humble, and Smart individuals. If this is you, you’ve come to the right place, and we invite you to join The Original!
Careers for the Driven
Valvoline has a rewarding opportunity as a Commercial Packaging Engineer. We whole-heartedly adopt a ‘never idle' mindset. We also know that outstanding service begins and ends with our employees. So, we’re looking for good people to join our team. You bring your skills, talents, and drive. We will give you a great place to work, a competitive salary and benefits, and the resources and support to develop and advance within our global company.
How You’ll Make an Impact
The Commercial Packaging Engineer encompasses involvement in the various aspects of bringing a product to life. The Packaging Engineer will interact with, and serve as a conduit for, information between Marketing, Purchasing, Operations, Supply Chain, Quality and vendors of packaging components and equipment. In the role, you would be responsible for:
- Supporting packaging projects while following front-end load project work process with multiple project phases and developing deliverables over the duration of the project lifecycle.
- Participating with Marketing, Operations, Quality and Purchasing in the development and introduction of all new packaging concepts and promotional programs. Establish and provide performance characteristics for each new design. Identify characteristics of new designs which will affect packaging line performance and recommend changes to the design which will enhance performance or reduce cost.
- Developing a comprehensive working knowledge of all existing packaging equipment and lines globally within the company. Support optimization of line performance through integration and automation of individual components or systems. Increase flexibility of existing equipment and standardize equipment design, layouts, etc. where possible.
- Developing and maintaining knowledge of new, innovative, and state-of-the-art packaging and material technology. Visit vendor plant sites to observe and understand their processes to learn the details of what constitutes a quality component. Build relationships with vendors and their technical teams to create a “panel of experts” for reference when needed. Recommend and implement new technology to drive cost reduction and/or lead the market with new solutions. Recommend alternative materials that will reduce cost and/or improve performance.
- Developing and maintaining performance and material specifications for packaging components including bottles, closures, corrugated, aerosol cans, pails, kegs, drums, pallets, etc. used within Valvoline. Manage and maintain the Packaging Specification Database utilized globally.
- Coordinating Package testing. Create and/or perform Designs of Experiment that appropriately challenge a package system. This will include product compatibility, static performance, dynamic performance, and material evaluation testing that is performed internally or through third-party package testing providers. Know and understand package and material testing protocols from ASTM, ISTA, etc. and their application. Maintain a record of all testing and results.
- Driving “Green/Sustainability” packaging initiatives. Understand industry recycling programs and recommend opportunities to reduce packaging waste. Fulfill customer administrative sustainability requirements. Develop packaging for opportunities to reduce carbon footprint. Identify opportunities to incorporate recycled materials into new packaging. Participate on the sustainability task force to help identify and evaluate sustainable packaging opportunities. Participate in the National Lubricant Container Recycling Coalition as a member of the Technical Working Group.
- Providing subject matter expertise to the procurement team. Evaluate and analyze potential vendor products and processes to determine if they qualify for consideration as a supplier to Valvoline. Assist with contingency planning by identifying and qualifying alternative supply options. Provide specifications and considerations to be included in Requests for Proposals for packaging materials, services, and equipment.
- Supporting field level packaging line improvement initiatives and new line implementation projects. Understand the desired outcome of each project and how it will affect operations. Consult with product development team, plant personnel and equipment vendors to create conceptual layouts that maximize operational efficiency. Develop scopes of work and requests for proposal pertaining to each aspect of the project. Create capital plans and timelines that sufficiently cover all work. Support field work as the project is completed. Monitor and manage all created expenditures throughout project including final reconciliation and project closure. Support design concept through commissioning and site acceptance by driving projects through the Project Work Process to bring projects in safely, on-time and on-budget.
- Other duties and responsibilities as determined by Valvoline from time to time in its sole discretion.
What You’ll Need
4 Year College Degree in Engineering (Packaging)
- Minimum of five years’ experience in consumer products packaging testing, work and project execution
- Experience in product commercialization from development of packaging material to shipment of product to stores
Line integration experience
Project management skills
Packaging equipment mechanical and controls knowledge
Field implementation knowledge
Palletization software (CAPE) or TOPS
Product development process knowledge
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
What Will Set You Apart
Master’s in Engineering or Business Administration
Master’s in Packaging Engineering
Professional Engineer Licenses
Master’s in Business Administration
Project Management Certifications
Certificated Packing Professional
Benefits That Drive Themselves
- Health insurance plans (medical, dental, vision)
- HSA and flexible spending accounts
- Incentive opportunity*
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays*
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee discounts
- Tuition reimbursement*
- Adoption assistance*
*Terms and conditions apply, and benefits may differ depending on position.
Valvoline provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Are you good at what you do? Join us.
The Company endeavors to make its recruitment process accessible to any and all users. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, upon request, to applicants with disabilities in order to facilitate equal opportunity throughout the recruitment and selection process. Please contact Human Resources at 1-800-Valvoline or email 1-800Valvoline@valvoline.com to make a request for reasonable accommodation during any aspect of the recruitment and selection process. The contact information is for accommodation requests only; do not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 37859